VicRoads have provided an update on the progress of the Box Hill to Ringwood Rail Trail
The level crossing removal works at Heatherdale Station have provided an opportunity to construct the shared use path in the rail corridor. The revised Ringwood alignment will:
- cross EastLink via the existing Molan Street bridge,
- follow the existing EastLink trail to connect to the rail corridor behind Molan Street businesses
- include new traffic signals at the intersection of New Street and Albert Street, providing a safe crossing point for pedestrians and cyclists, as well as allowing a right turn from Albert Street into New Street towards Maroondah Highway
- follow Albert Street using an on-road two-way bike lane. This will change the operation of Albert Street, removing parking from the north side and creating a one-way street for 200m east of New Street.
- connect to the recently built path from the playground on Albert Street to Wantirna Road, and continuing to Ringwood Station.
Benefits of the revised final alignment are:
- relocating the shared use path away from the Molan Street footpath, avoiding driveway conflicts
- introducing access for Albert Street residents to Maroondah Hwy via New Street and reducing through traffic along Albert Street
- retaining 26 mature trees along the Albert Street northern nature strip